The overall objective of SELFIE is to develop and demonstrate a novel self-sustained compact battery system, consisting of:
- A smart modular battery pack, which has excellent internal thermal conductivity properties, a refrigerant cooling system and a PCM based thermal storage system (heat buffer) capable of absorbing excess heat due to fast charging, and which is thoroughly insulated from the outside
- An advanced battery thermal management system (BTMS), that is capable to keep the battery temperature effectively within the optimal window and to prevent overheating (and battery degradation) due to fast charging.
- Development of new/advanced components for battery packs that enable a step change in thermal management, energy efficiency and cost
- Integration, assembly and manufacturing and bench testing of the developed compact battery system
- Demonstration and validation of the battery system